Thursday, February 18, 2010

Laser Scanning Quotes

I am very deterred! The quotes that are coming in for scanning and manipulation work are much higher than I had expected. Looks like to get a sole scanned, mirrored, resized, and cleaned up is going to run about 1,500 bucks. More than I am willing to spend.

I have handled a discarded casting of the boot sole, and Routh must have pretty big feet. I'm not even sure a set of castings would be much help, other than as reference. I could always make a series of molds and castings and hope that shrinkage can bring it down to size, but that sounds like hit or miss.

It is looking more and more like I'm going to need to sculpt my own versions of the soles based on reference materials I have. Which are plenty, by the way. I've got it covered. It's just going to be a lot of work.

I also had an email exchange with Indy Magnoli, who thinks he will be able to pull off the boots, provided I can source the stamped leather. Which I believe I can. So far, so good.

No comments: