Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fabric and Dye

Been sort of languishing lately, as work has been taking up a lot of my time. Also been playing a lot of guitar lately. Trying to get back into "performance shape" so I can do a few coffee shop gigs locally. Cuz I don't have enough on my plate as it is. I even got a new guitar recently. Check it out...



But that, my dear reader, is neither here nor there.

I ordered some Rit dye tonight. I've been kind of floundering around on this fabric business. I'm really not very familiar with types of cotton, weight, or anything like that, so it's all just a shot in the dark. I checked a few stores for the right kind of red, and didn't find it. BUT, just tonight I checked out the Rit home page, which can be found here, and discovered they offer a Scarlet which looks really good. So I ordered a few bottles. I'll experiment with that on my muslin that I ordered a while back.

I also did a little poking around and found some cotton interlock that is JUST about the right size. This is the stuff that t-shirts are made of. While it's not quite the right type of material, some of my tests revealed that it worked pretty well. Seeing as how I also found it in red makes it a bit more attractive. Not sure how it will work, or if it will be the right size, but I'm willing to spend a few bucks to give it a try.Here's some of the stuff I ordered. NO idea if the color is even close, but what the heck.

The burman latex order should be here in a couple more days, so I may be in a position to take another shot at cranking out a cape this weekend

No comments: