Sunday, May 24, 2009

Another Belt Pour

R&D on the belt continues. I poured up another belt last night, this time using a slightly different technique, in an effort to produce a bubble free casting.

I brushed in a thin layer of urethane, just to make sure there were no pesky bubbles hanging about. Then I laid in the yellow webbing. Finally, I poured the final layer over the webbing, and crossed my fingers.



Didn't quite work out perfectly. The belt on the top is the new one.



Notice the bubbles around the belt loops? That's underneath the webbing. I guess the urethane didn't quite seep as well as I had hoped, and it didn't kill the air bubbles caught under the webbing. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Also note the color difference. The lower one is the one that sat out in the sun for a few hours. I definitaley like the bottom one better, so I'll stick with my sun-bleach.

The good news is that valuable intel was gained from this effort, and I have already put it to use on my next pour, which is curing right now. Should be done later today. With any luck, that will be the final one.

In other news, I've started making the molds for the chest emblem. Recall that I am the proud owner of a made-for-production Superman Returns chest emblem. It is currently under an inch of rubber. Still need to make the back side of the molds, but it's coming along nicely. I hope to have this finished up before the end of the Memorial Day weekend.

1 comment:

anigswes said...

Enjoying your blog, and heads up- I'm sending you an email.