Saturday, February 21, 2009

Cape Table Build Begins

I'm just now blogging on some progress I've made on the cape table. It's coming along quite nicely, if I do say so myself!

It all starts with a simple plan. I took the cape measurements, added about ten inches to each side, and then drew up some very simple plans using the measurements of the MDF I purchased.



Speaking of MDF, here's the big cart 'o lumber I brought home the other night. Three huge and heavy sheets of MDF, and a bunch of 2X4's.



I started in with my chop saw, cutting the 2X4's to lenght. I cut five ribs for the main body, and two pieces for the ends.



On a side note, I had to get my bike out of the way, as I need every square inch of garage floor space. I FINALLY got around to doing another little project, which is to screw in those hooks into the ceiling. Now the bike is off the ground. WHoohoo!



After getting all the wood cut, it was just a matter of building the box under the MDF. I started with one big sheet, as all of the other pieces will need to be cut to fit my design. I really don't have any idea if it will work or not, but it's a pretty fun learning experience.



So far so good, but I'm a little tired out now, since all that wood is heavy! More in a bit, as it happens.

No comments: