Monday, November 26, 2007

RHS Clean Up

With the pull from the Right Hand Side (RHS) all out and cured, it's time to clean it up.

I started with my dremel (running at a low speed) and one of those big honkin fiberglass cutoff wheels. I ran around the edge and cut off as much of the flashing as I could. I'd say I left about 1/4" of space. I did not want to get too close to the body and risk nicking it.

After the flash was removed, I switched tools. I don't know what the name of this thing is, but it's basically a hand held cheese grater. It's great (get it??) for taking down resin pretty quickly, but you get a much smoother surface than if you used a dremel tool. Because you can cover areas using long strokes, you get flatness.




After about an hour of grating away at the thing, this is what it looked like on the back side.



Dusted off, here's what it looked like on the front.



The edging is essentially done on this. When it comes time to mate up the two halves, I may end up doing a little more sanding just to make for a better fit. I doubt it will be as much work as I had to put it in to get it to this point.

No comments: